Last night here at the Gihon Hotel in Bahir Dar I met Vincent Moon , a traveling music documentary film maker. Although I only hung out with him briefly, I think his work is pretty much up my alley. He is travelling the world and documenting local musicians. He's been at it for three years solid and so far this year he has produced 46 videos...impressive! If all goes well, we are going to meet up tomorrow in Gondar to do some work together. He recommended I check out the Blue Nile falls, so early this morning I walked over to the bus station and found a bus to Tis Abay. Although I left my hotel at around 630AM, one thing lead to another, and the 1 hour journey took me three hours to reach Tis Abay. Waiting for the bus to pick up passengers, a quick breakfast stop, buy my entry ticket, etc. I got my entry ticket and walked around a hill to get a sweet view of the falls. The upper reaches of the Blue Nile river watershed area in this district. The Blue Nile when it joins with the White Nile in Khartoum supplies 80% of the water that the modern (and historical) Egyptians depend on. The beginnings of this mighty river pour into a big lake called lake Tana. Lake Tana drains out a few kms and then...boom...the Blue Nile Falls. 

Blue Nile Falls near Tis Abay

Blue Nile Falls near Tis Abay

Blue Nile Falls, Tis Abay

After I checked out the falls, I perched myself ontop of a ridge and took out my zoom lens. Trying to capture a feel of the mid-day scene around here.

Crucial Shade near Blue Nile Falls, Tis Abay

Hanging out in the shade near Blue Nile Falls

Crossing into the sun Blue Nile Falls

Women Hauling Cow Dung Blue Nile Falls

Forest Canopy near Tis Abay

Locals pause before a Small Christian Shrine, near Tis Abay

To make the day interesting, as I got back to Tis Abay and asked for a bus, the driver quoted a price that was three times what I had paid to get there. I try to reason with him in Amharic, but failed. So I began the slog back to town (30km) at noon, a mere 11 degrees from the equator and with a short sleeve shirt. Although it wasn't sunny, a dry wind blew fierce and construction trucks made the road slogging hateful. Eventually I saw a bus coming, and since Tis Abay is a dead end, I hid in the bushes at it passed me. After I had covered about five or six km towards town the bus returned heading back towards Bahir Dar and I flagged it down. Luckily even though the bus was completely packed, standing-room-only, the bus attendant accepted my exact fare. When I got back to Bahir Dar at 3pm, I ate a fat plate of pasta, drank some cold sparkling water and had a cold shower. Then the whole bus made fun of me for about an hour along the way back to Bahir Dar. Every day is a surprise... Keeps you on your toes I suppose. More soon.